Monday, November 12, 2012

Jean Dubuffet Sculptures

For a few years, I've done an abstract project involving line, color, and sweet lil' second graders. Recently, I saw images of artwork by Jean Dubuffet that reminded me of said project. So this year, I've incorporated the two.

There are other Dubuffet lessons out there; I found the following before re-styling my own:

Dali's Moustache
Kids Artists
Hands, Head 'n Heart in the Artroom

Prior to seeing his work, I didn't know much about Dubuffet. If you're in the same boat, check out the following references that really helped me out:

Dubuffet.com
MoMA
Poul Webb Art Blog
Art Smarts 4 Kids

Here's what we did. First, we began by filling a 9x12" white piece of paper with a 'controlled scribble,' allowing our imaginations and our pencils dance around the page. The kids did this on both sides of the paper before consulting tablemates to choose their better side. Then, pencil lines were traced with a fine-tip black Sharpie. We erased any peek-a-boo pencil lines.


Kiddos colored a few spaces with the Sharpie, while other sections were filled with linear patterns using a white crayon.

Everyone's abstract shape was cut out.


Next art class, the watercolors came out and the artists went to work! Students were limited to two colors of their choice (like Dubuffet and his limited color palette). Some spaces were left white, while others got the bold color treatment.


When works were dry (within a few minutes), they were mounted onto paper. Glue stick glue was put on all edges of the pieces, but pushed down in select locations to create 3D sculptures, a la Dubuffet. They were THRILLED with their (simple) sculptures! And I have to say that I agree--the results are simple yet arresting.

Cutting a few of those black lines for more dimension






While we worked, we listened to a bit of music that Dubuffet had put together: http://www.ubu.com/sound/dubuffet.html The kids' reactions were quite entertaining!

This was a quick two-day project that gave us room to finish any previously incomplete projects (in this case, Gators), and fostered peer helping, as some kids 'got' it more than others. I look forward to finishing this project with my other second grade sweeties!

1 comment :

  1. Anonymous11/19/2012

    These are fabulous! They have a spontaneous, not overworked feel and I love the dimensional aspect.

    ReplyDelete